check_snmp memory calculation

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Feb 5 14:49:22 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 6:40 PM, deepak wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> i am trying to get stats thru check_snmp plugin & plot it thru
> NagiosGrapger.
> I have been successful in this.However i am not able to determine as
> to how does
> nagios understand the total memory of a switch or a router when i
> have merely
> taken value for a single oid(1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.5.1-
> ciscoMemoryPoolUsed).
> what i want to know is the critical value which i give say 70%, of
> what total
> value  is this 70%.How does nagios calculate the percentage to
> understand the
> critical level.Does it get the total memory from switch or
> router.....How does
> this work.....

check_snmp doesn't perform any calculations at all, nor does nagios.
It also doesn't query any more than the specific OID you tell it to.
SNMP data can be _anything_ and check_snmp has no idea what it might
be. You must supply the warning and critical values or ranges to
check_snmp on the command line that the plugin will compare to the
queried SNMP value. If you're querying 'used memory in bytes', your
warning and critical values must be in bytes as well. If you're
querying 'number of people seen passing in front of the camera', your
warning and critical values must be an integer (one would hope).

--
Marc