Dependencies

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 01:43:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to get some of the dependency stuff working in Nagios.

I have a very simple system:

Machine A .... Router B ..... Internet .... machine C

I use the following to show the relationship:

define host{
        use                     linux-server
        host_name               A
        parents                 B
        }

1) The 'status map' shows nagios as being somehow between A & B, whereas it is on A (ie it runs on A).
   Is there a way that I can tell nagios that it is on A ?

2) I check that DNS is still working thus:

define service{
        use                             local-service
        host_name                       A
        service_description             DNS Access
        check_command                   check_dns
        }

   How do I say that this depends on B ? ... I don't want warnings just because the router is dead.

   I also check (twice/day) that the clock on A is accurate, that will only work if NTP works, ie
   also depends on B, but is very much tied to A.

TIA

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/