NOTIFICATIONS - Question...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Aug 28 16:36:27 CEST 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Luis Fernando Lacayo wrote:

> Good Morning all,
>
> I have a question about notification setup.
>
> I have few devices that are defined with enable_notification set to
> 0.  However,  we have a weekly maintenance period where the SE will
> disable notifications by groups..   When they re-enable
> notifications, it appears that even the ones that I have set to
> disable notification send out notifications...
>
> Is this the way the software is designed to work? Am I doing
> somethign wrong?  is there a way to keep these devices from sending
> notifications?

Yes, that's by design. Changes made through the GUI/external commands
intentionally override config file settings. There's no way to prevent
that from happening that I am aware of short of disabling external
commands entirely.

If you don't use state retention, specifically
retain_nonstatus_information, then a reload/restart of nagios will
reset all values to their config defaults. If you do
retain_nonstatus_information then nagios will remember the new setting
even across restarts.

A better solution might be to create a notification period that
excludes your maintenance windows so that the SE doesn't need to
manually disable notifications.

--
Marc