Different contacts on the same service definition?

Luis Fernando Muñoz Mejías luisf.munnoz at uam.es
Wed Aug 27 21:21:19 CEST 2008

Hello, list.

I use a Nagios instance to monitor several clusters, counting almost 900
nodes. The configuration is quite complex, as not all nodes have the
same services associated, nor even the same check or notification
periods. To make this more funny, nodes have different "owners", and
some notifications from some nodes are interesting only to that node's
owner. Then, some alarms on all nodes must be sent to the correct expert
(f.i, a security expert in case of security issues).

My problem is that sending alarms only to each owner requires to define
many times the same service, changing only the host/hostgroups and
contact/contactgroups. This doesn't scale, so I'd like Nagios to do it
for me.

I'd like to have a service alarm sent to its contacts and, if the
service has no defined contacts, the host's contacts are notified
instead. For instance:

define host {
    name h1.my.domain
    contact_groups c1
}

define host {
    name h2.my.domain
    contact_groups c2
}

# Only c1 will be notified, no matter where the alarm happens
define service {
   description Service with associated contacts
   host_name h1.my.domain,h2.my.domain
   contact_groups c1
   # Commands, and whatever
}

# Only problem host's contact will be notified:
define service {
   description Service with no associated contacts
   host_name h1.my.domain,h2.my.domain
   # Commands, and whatever, but no contacts or a keyword
   # contact to choose the correct destination for each notification.
}

I read the documentation, and this doesn't look possible right now. Is
it? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
--
Luis Fernando Muñoz Mejías