(Nagios-Ping)

Paulus, Jake jpaulus at sourceinterlink.com
Wed Aug 27 15:15:53 CEST 2008

This can't be a layer 3 issue. ICMP doesn't support retries so nothing
in the middle should try to resend or duplicate the packet. Only layer 1
(a hub) or layer two (a host sending the same packet from two different
MAC addresses) will do this. Though if you have any redundant in-line
transparent proxies in the path - I might label them as suspect as
well....

The only way a hub should be able to do it is if a hub connects two
switches together and a switch loop exists at that spot. Both switches
that receive the frame would carry it on to its destination. I want to
say that if you have a switching loop you'd notice it in other places.

In the multi-homing situation, we have two NICs in the same server on
the same subnet with the same IP address but different MAC addresses.
Both try to send responses and so show up as duplicates - not sure why
though as I would suspect the sequence numbers would be off in the
echo-reply? The host shouldn't be sending the exact same packet out both
NICs...only load sharing some packets on one and some on the other...

On a server that really only has one NIC - I would look for errors on
the switchport or the host. I suppose if the IP stack on the host saw
errors it could retry right away on it's own even though the packet
might have been ok? Just an idea...

-Jake