Issues with Authentication in Nagios3

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 27 14:52:53 CEST 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 6:51 AM, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:

> I have basic auth setup in the vhost as follows:
>
> ==============
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>        ServerAdmin     mmw at DOMAIN
>        DocumentRoot    /usr/share/nagios3/htdocs
>
>        ServerName      nagios.DOMAIN
>
>        ErrorLog        /var/log/apache2/nagios.DOMAIN-error.log
>        CustomLog       /var/log/apache2/nagios.DOMAIN-access.log
> combined
>
>        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/nagios3 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios3
>        ScriptAlias /nagios3/cgi-bin /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios3
>
>        <Directory /usr/share/nagios3/htdocs >
>                Options FollowSymLinks
>
>                DirectoryIndex index.html
>
>                AllowOverride AuthConfig
>                Order Allow,Deny
>                Allow From All
>
>                AuthName "Nagios Access"
>                AuthType Basic
>                AuthUserFile /etc/nagios3/htpasswd.users
>                require valid-user
>        </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
> =============
>
> When I try to access the site, I am prompted for the username and
> password.  I enter this information and I gain access to the Nagios
> CGI
> scripts, however at the top of each screen, I am presented with the
> text "Logged in as ?"
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

You have not fully configured authentication. You are being prompted
to log in, but only to access the left frame menu (htdocs directory).
The CGI's are not in that directory so they do not see the
authentication information. Since it's the CGI's that must see the
authentication, nagios correctly believes you have not logged in.

You must configure a <Directory...> section as above for the /usr/lib/
cgi-bin/nagios3 directory. I am presuming that path is correct based
on what you've provided above.

--
Marc