ADSL modem checking

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Wed Aug 27 14:35:18 CEST 2008

Paul Weaver wrote:

>>> I don't have any pcs with default routes out of two network
>>>
>> cards to
>>
>>> test, but perhaps using "ping -I eth0 www.yahoo.co.uk" and "ping -I
>>> eth1 www.yahoo.co.uk" would work?
>>>

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for your response. I have a script which actually
>> change the default route to other lan card when the present
>> lan card i.e. the modem connected with it not providing the
>> internet.  The  command you have mentioned is also check the
>> internet forcefully from the lan card.
>>
>> but it would be nice if check_ping could do the same.
>> thanks
>>

> Ahh well, you're asking the wrong person. At the first sign of trouble
> with standard plugins, I wrap a perl script arround whatever commands I
> do the check with -- I did a similar thing when I wasnted to force
> checks of 8000 byte non-fragmented pings.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.

Ok, so ping_check is a  ping command with standard features.

I would be grateful to you if you give me 1 more suggestions

1> How can I check a different IP with check_ping command. I have tried
as below with no success
            check_ping -H gmail.com!100.0,20%!500.0,60%

with best regards

Joydeep Bakshi, Linux System Admin
Kolkatainfoservices Pvt Ltd,
23A Royd Street, Kolkata 700016, India