(Nagios-Ping)

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 14:38:19 CEST 2008

> > Does anyone have this issue like me?
> >
> > Additional Info:
> >
> > PING WARNING - DUPLICATES FOUND! Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.61 ms
>
> The obvious question to answer: What happens if you ping from
> the nagios server by hand? If that results in duplicates as
> well then Nagios is doing just fine and you have a network
> problem to solve.
>
> Duplicate replies can come from 2 systems having the same
> address, faulty clusters duplicating packets, using
> broadcasts addresses which makes every system in the
> neighborhood react, faulty switches, ......

I ping about 150 servers, and I rarely get this DUPLICATES FOUND
warning. But I do. It's limited to devices on a given subnet (which is a
different subnet to the one nagios is on), and it's not readilly
repeatable. At bad times I might get one duplicate every 250 pings,
which are spread out over about 4 hours (5 pings per check, 15 checks
per hour when all OK). It rarely goes into a hard state, which requires
duplicated over a 90 second period. As it's the same subnet, I put it
down to a network fault -- perhaps due to the multiple paths between the
nagios network and this device network.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/