Issues with Authentication in Nagios3

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 13:51:44 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I've just installed Nagios3 from Debian Backports onto a Debian Etch
server.

The system is running in an apache2-vhost and I can connect and view
all of the CGIs without issue.

When I try and view the status of any host or service (or indeed even
the tac.cgi screen), I get the following error:

======================

It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for
any of the hosts you requested...

If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication
requirements for accessing this CGI and check the authorization options
in your CGI configuration file.

=====================

I have basic auth setup in the vhost as follows:

==============

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin     mmw at DOMAIN
        DocumentRoot    /usr/share/nagios3/htdocs

        ServerName      nagios.DOMAIN

        ErrorLog        /var/log/apache2/nagios.DOMAIN-error.log
        CustomLog       /var/log/apache2/nagios.DOMAIN-access.log
combined

        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/nagios3 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios3
        ScriptAlias /nagios3/cgi-bin /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios3

        <Directory /usr/share/nagios3/htdocs >
                Options FollowSymLinks

                DirectoryIndex index.html

                AllowOverride AuthConfig
                Order Allow,Deny
                Allow From All

                AuthName "Nagios Access"
                AuthType Basic
                AuthUserFile /etc/nagios3/htpasswd.users
                require valid-user
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
=============

When I try to access the site, I am prompted for the username and
password.  I enter this information and I gain access to the Nagios CGI
scripts, however at the top of each screen, I am presented with the
text "Logged in as ?"

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace