ADSL modem checking

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Wed Aug 27 13:12:45 CEST 2008

Hi all,

nagios is running here at my local server with ssh,mysql,smtp,http
monitoring.

And now I like to use *nagios* to monitor my 2 ADSL modems.

The environment is as below

    1> my linux server has 3 lan crads eth0 ( connected with hub ) ,
eth1, eth2

    2>  There is an ADSL modem 220BX connected with eth1. ( 8MB
connection used as primary )
        This modem is providing Internet connection from provider1 (say)

         Another modem ADSL modem TAD100 connected with eth2. ( 512 KB
connection used as backup )
        This modem is providing Internet connection from provider2 (say)

3> simple check_ping to modem IP  can monitor the accessibility to both
the  modem. BUT how can I check that the internet connection is really
provided by the modems. simple ping to yahoo.com can't solve the problem
as any one modem is used as default route at a particular time. How can
I check the internet is really present on the other modem not used as
default route ? In other words say eth1 is used as default route and the
traffic is going through ADSL modem 220BX. Then How can I check that the
internet connection is alive at eth2 ?

Many thanks in advanced.

Joydeep Bakshi, Linux System Admin
Kolkatainfoservices Pvt Ltd,