Initial problems

Taylor Dondich tdondich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:53:47 CEST 2008

First off, the Nagios output states it is Nagios 3.0.1, not Nagios
2.x.  This is fine, just refer to the Nagios 3 documentation as some
things have changed, such as the first couple of warnings.

First off, it looks like you have a permissions issue on the
/usr/local/nagios/log directory.  Make sure the directory exists, and
it's contents are writable by the Nagios user.

Second, the fatal error states that the object property in
minimal.cfg, line 60 is invalid.  It may be a directive that is no
longer allowed in Nagios 3 or has been renamed (it has a habit of
doing that).  The book you described is great to understand the basics
of Nagios, but try to be aware there are differences and you should
verify it by looking at the Nagios 3 docs at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/

Taylor

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 7:30 PM, scott <svetter at ameritech.net> wrote:
> Greetings
>
>   I am just starting to use nagios and it looks promising.  Along with
> the documentation supplied, I am also using the text from the book Pro
> Nagios 2.0 by James Turnbull.
>
>   The version of nagios is 2.0 February 06, 2006 as this came with the
> SuSE Linux 11.0.
>
>   Tried starting nagious and get these messages in the start:
> nagios /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
>
> Nagios 3.0.1
> Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 04-01-2008
> License: GPL
>
> Warning: comment_file variable ignored.  Comments are now stored in the
> status and retention files.
> Warning: downtime_file variable ignored.  Downtime entries are now
> stored in the status and retention files.
> Warning: aggregate_status_updates directive ignored.  All status file
> updates are now aggregated.
> Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/log/nagios.log' for writing
> Nagios 3.0.1 starting... (PID=16379)
> Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/log/nagios.log' for writing
> Local time is Mon Aug 25 22:20:44 EDT 2008
> Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/log/nagios.log' for writing
> Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/log/nagios.log' for writing
> Warning: Duplicate definition found for command 'notify-by-email'
> (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg', starting on line 59)
> Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/log/nagios.log' for writing
> Error: Could not add object property in file
> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg' on line 60.
> Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/log/nagios.log' for writing
> Bailing out due to one or more errors encountered in the configuration
> files. Run Nagios from the command line with the -v option to verify
> your config before restarting. (PID=16379)
>
>   I've tried using the afore mentioned directory to hold the log files
> as well as /var/log/nagios and /usr/local/nagios/etc but all three fail.
>
>   Suggestions on how to resolve these errors would be appreciated.

Taylor
Check out my Shortcut with O'Reilly Press:
Network Monitoring with Nagios:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528195/index.html