nrpe and check_mailq

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Aug 26 00:31:44 CEST 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Kevin Freels wrote:

> *AND* I can run check_mailq on the FreeBSD box as a mortal user (me),
> but not on the Linux box. I did notice that version of Perl on the
> Linux
> box is 5.8.0, while the working FreeBSD is 5.005. Perl on the
> FreeBSD is
> also chgrp'd to wheel, not root.
>
> Maybe somewhere in there lies the culprit?

The permissions on your mail queue directory for your mailer are
probably more open on the boxen that work.

> I'm also not comfortable adding a generic user ('nagios') to sudo. I
> realize I can restrict the commands the user can use, but still....

The alternative is to add the nagios user to a group that has read
permissions to your mail queue or generally more open permissions for
all users on the mail queue in general. The former may be comparable
to the sudo approach and the latter is definitely less secure than
either.

--
Marc