Active and Passive checks of the same service

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Fri Aug 22 21:07:10 CEST 2008

I'm trying to find a way to have a passive check of a service suffice
as an active check of the same service. We are using Nagios 2.9.

We have lots of filesystems we check via SNMP for both block and inode
usage, and doing active checks for all of these overwhelms our
server. So we run via cron a single process that goes and checks all
these filesystems and submits them results via passive checks to
Nagios. All this works fine.

But what I'd like to do is if the passive check results in a problem
that that'd kick the service into a SOFT problem state and then Nagios
would re-check the service much more frequently (say every minute) up
until max_check_attempts.

My problem is that I can't seem to persuade Nagios to alter the
scheduling of the active checks when passive checks come in. I'd like
to have normal_check_interval set to 10 minutes, retry_check_interval
set to 1, and have my cron that generates passive checks run every 5
minutes. So that when everything is OK the passive checks take care of
all the work and Nagios never fires off an active check unless the
passive check results in a non-OK state, or the passive check fails
for some reason.

But regardless of how many passive check results are seen by the
server, it always keeps scheduling and firing off those active checks
regardless.