Linux Question

Edwin Zoeller Edwin.Zoeller at ama-assn.org
Fri Aug 22 16:46:06 CEST 2008

We have recently installed Redhat AS4 throughout our network. I have
installed various plugins from the Nagios Exchange site for Linux and
all seems to be well, except for the check_ram command. I am running
this on various servers with different configurations and all are giving
the same results. Here is what I have on one of the servers:

check_ram -n -w 20MB -c 10MB ( the system has 8GB installed), results
display 30MB free (am I doing this right?)

Other admins here are disputing the results and claim that Linux buffers
all the memory and gives what it needs. I don't know for fact it this is
true. I have also run top, free and ps -eo checking on memory size, all
give back the same results as the Nagios plugin. Is this plugin with the
option chosen giving real memory results or bogus results.

My question, in desperation, can anyone explain in very simple terms how
Linux memory works? Also how are you monitoring memory, using what
command and how it is configured etc.

Thanks to all

Ed