Service / Host dependencies

Taylor Dondich tdondich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 00:31:50 CEST 2008

Are you regularly checking the hosts?  (This is done by specifying
check interval, retry interval in your host definitions,
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html)

It seems like your service checks are running, and when they go down,
they trigger an on-demand host-check.  For this, you'll probably want
to check to see if you're checking hosts at regular intervals, and if
the host changes to down state, my understanding is that the services
will probably not send out notifications...but don't hold me to that,
I believe it's true.

Of course, no matter what happens, it's quite possible that a service
check will happen to run before your regular host check does, and it
will trigger the on-demand host check, which means you may get a
service alert notification anyways.

Taylor