Problem with $CONTACTADDRESS1$

Tobias Gunkel tobias.gunkel at qumido.de
Thu Aug 21 15:18:55 CEST 2008

Hi there!

I'm using Nagios 3.0.3 and I want to send notifications via SMS, so I
configured an additional command 'notify-by-sms':

define command{
    command_name   notify-by-sms
    command_line   /usr/local/nagios/bin/sendsms -n "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$"
-d "$SERVICEDESC$" -h "$HOSTALIAS$" -s "$SERVICESTATE$" -t
"$SHORTDATETIME$" -i "$SERVICEOUTPUT$" -p "$CONTACTADDRESS1$"
    }

/usr/local/nagios/bin/sendsms sends SMS through our SMS Gateway.
Argument -p $CONTACTADDRESS1$ represents the cell phone number.

I added address1 and the 'notify-by-sms' command in my contact definition:

define contact{
         contact_name nagiosadmin
         use generic-contact
         alias Nagios Admin
         service_notification_commands notify-by-sms
         host_notification_commands notify-by-sms
         email xxx.xxxx at yyyy.zz
         address1 0049XXXXXXX
         }

But after restarting Nagios this setup doesnt work o_0.

If I change the $CONTACTADDRESS1$ Makro into the actual phone number it
works fine:

command_line   /usr/local/nagios/bin/sendsms -n "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$" -d
"$SERVICEDESC$" -h "$HOSTALIAS$" -s "$SERVICESTATE$" -t
"$SHORTDATETIME$" -i "$SERVICEOUTPUT$" -p "0049XXXXXXX"

So it seems, that $CONTACTADDRESS1$ is not resolved correctly, right?

What's going wrong here? Thanks for any hints and tips!
Best regards, Tobias