Acknowledge: manual removal only ?

Ernst Heiri ernst.heiri at switch.ch
Thu Aug 21 09:15:25 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot for your help!

My question was:
Is there a possibility to prevent the automatic removal of the
acknowledge if the host or service recovers?

And here is a short summery of the discussion and my comments:

> Marcus:
> The "Persistent Comment" flag prevents the comment from
> automatically disappear.

True - but on the "Host Detail" or "Service Detail" list you can not
differentiate between comments from ack and from users on the first
gaze.

> Fridh:
> ACK + disable active checks until you're done.

I wouldn't like to stop active checks.

> Thomas:
> disabling notifications, so I can still see state
> changes going on.
> Another method is using scheduled downtimes; that way you can't forget
> to re-enable the service.

Disabling notifications is what we will do if there is no better
solution. A disabled host/service notification  would then mean to us
that somebody is working on it. But the icon for "disabled
notification" on the "Service Detail" or "Host Detail" list is much
less intuitive than the nice ack icon :-(

> Fridh:
> A problem could be it would then count as just that in the statistics
> - scheduled downtime, which it is not.

Yes - I agree on this. Not only for the statistics, for the operation
too, it has a different meaning.

I accept there are different ways to ack a problem - depending on the
specific operational models of different organisation.
I would be glad to see a config parameter to prevent automatic removal
of an acknowledge.
To whom can I send a request to add  this feature in a future release?

Best regards,
Ernst