Read-only users in 2.12

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Aug 20 23:19:11 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at trying to set up a read-only user for Nagios to use for
> an in-office "dashboard".  Since this is set up where any staff member could
> get physical access to it, I need to be able to define a user who can view
> and browse assigned devices through the web interface, but not issue any
> commands.  Preferably, I'd like to see the links for commands to not even
> show up.
>
> NLG seems like overkill for this.  Ton Voon's patch at
> <http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/02/index.html> seems to be on the
> right track, but the information on the blog indicates that it's only good
> for 2.0, not 2.1.  Has anyone produced anything for 2.1 that fits the bill,
> or should I be looking at modifying the Altinity patch?

NLG is actually pretty easy to setup and gives a very niice view, but
yes, might be overkill if you don't need to separate access from the
Nagios server and the view server.

Derrick Bennett has been maintaining a read-only user patch for Nagios
since 2.x that lets you specify a read only user in the cgi.conf file
.. that user can see everything but cannot execute any commands via
the GUI nor view comments left by operational staff.

CC'ing him on this email .. if you are interested in the patch for
2.x, please let him know .. the 3.x patch is available online at

http://www.nagios3book.com/

under the 'patches' section on the first page of the site.

- Max