Monitoring Windows Clients

Jeff Marble jrmarble at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:04:30 CEST 2008

My Solaris clients all work great but a few of the windows clients die each day.

I have installed and configured nsclient from MikeM on 15 Windows
servers.  6-8 times each day, the nsclient++ service will die with no
information in the NSC.log file.

I am using nsclient, not nrpe.  No preference here, just what was the
most straight forward for a Solaris guy to monitor a few windows
servers.

I enabled the recommended modules in the instructions and monitory cpu
load, disk space, a process and memory usage in the NSC.ini file.
These work fine.  I have since commented out NRPEListener, SysTray,
CheckEvenLog and CheckHelpers.  Remaining is FileLogger, CheckSystem,
CheckDisk, and NSClientListener.  I only allow the nagios host to
connect on port 12489.  I bind to one NIC on the windows server.
Debug is turned on.

I am a newbie to monitoring windows clients.  Please point me in the
right direction. I suspect I have configured something wrong because I
assume many others are also using NSCLient++.    I have googled, read
blogs, and read the list.

At this point, I will attempt to switch to NRPE and see if that makes
a difference.  Unless there is a fix or a better option.

Thank you,
Jeff

--
Jeff Marble