Blocking ICMP and other issues

tb at itswny.com tb at itswny.com
Thu Aug 14 00:31:49 CEST 2008

I have just installed Fedora 9 and then setup Nagios. I followed Quick Install and it worked wonderfully. I want to Monitor 1 remote server's SMTP. I have been experimenting with 2 configuration files (Pasted at the end for reference) without much luck. With config #1, I receive messages telling me the host is down constantly (I assume this is because it blocks ICMP ping requests) I then found a sample on one of the forums which I tried to implement; but I recieve no messages and Nagios still says host is down in the browser. Basically I'd like to show the host as up and recieve messages when SMTP is unavailable. Does anyone have any samples (Pref with comments) that I can experiment with? I am particually interested in monitoring publically available services.

#==================================
#CONFIG FILE #1
#==================================
define host{
use windows-server
host_name myserver
alias My Mail
address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
checks_enabled 0
}

define hostgroup{
hostgroup_name windows-servers
alias Windows Servers
}
#===============================EOF

#==================================
#CONFIG FILE #2
#==================================
define command{
command_name check_upmail
command_line $USER1$/check_smtp -H 64.62.20.243
}

define host{
use generic-host
host_name myserver