using check_printer to check Ricoh toner

Marcelo M. Garcia marcelo.maia.garcia at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 13 17:04:54 CEST 2008

Hi.

I'm trying to use the plugin "check_printer" to monitor the toners of
our Ricoh Aficio 3245C.

When I run from the command line it works fine:
mgarcia at newt /usr/lib/nagios/plugins $sudo ./check_printer
194.193.148.130 public toner 1
OK - Black Tonermgarcia at newt /usr/lib/nagios/plugins $

I defined a command "check_ricoh_toner":
# 'chech_ricoh_toner command definition
define command {
         command_name    check_ricoh_toner
         command_line    $USER1$/check_printer $HOSTNAME$ public toner
$ARG1$
         }

And then, the service:
mgarcia at newt /etc/nagios/cd-adapco/services $more ricohprinter.cfg
#
# Printers.

define service {
     host_name        ricoh
     service_description    check Ricoh Aficio
     check_command        check_ricoh_toner!1
     normal_check_interval    90
         max_check_attempts      5
     retry_check_interval    15
         check_period            24x7
     notification_interval    90
     notification_period    workhours
     notification_options    w,c,r
     contact_groups        cd-admins
}

But in the web interface I see the message:
UNKNOWN - Toner/Ink 1 does not exist!

What is wrong? What am I missing?

I'm using Nagios in a Fedora 9 box: nagios-2.11-3.fc9.i386. The plugin
"check_printer" I downloaded from NagiosExchange.

Thanks

Marcelo