Nagios freshness checks randomly think check results are from 1973.

fevin Kagen fevinkagen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 16:46:29 CEST 2008

I'm having this exact same issue on two different Nagios servers.  One
running Fedora and one running Ubuntu.  It is driving me crazy.

An SNMP Trap is received for a backup job.  It is properly translated and
ultimately received by Nagios.  I have a freshness check in place for the
service that will create a critical alert if a check is not received every
26 hours.  For whatever reason, the check is run right after the alert is
received and it think the results are 12K+ days old.  It seems to
periodically think the results are from 11-08-1973.

This is an ongoing issue on both servers, but certainly isn't the norm.
 Typically the freshness checks work great.  However, about once or twice a
week, I see this behavior on random checks.  Here is an example:

>From the Nagios web interface >

[08-10-2008 00:06:07] SERVICE ALERT:
HHA_Backups;Backup_Incremental;CRITICAL;HARD;3;CRITICAL: Results of backup
job were not reported!
[08-10-2008 00:05:47] SERVICE ALERT:
HHA_Backups;Backup_Incremental;WARNING;SOFT;2;The job completed
successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered: 1 files
were skipped. A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful.
Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

>From nagios.log >

[1218341147] PASSIVE SERVICE CHECK: HHA_Backups;Backup_Incremental;1;The job
completed successfully.  However, the following conditions were
encountered:  1 files were skipped. A snapshot operation required by this
job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for
additional information.

[1218341147] SERVICE ALERT:
HHA_Backups;Backup_Incremental;WARNING;SOFT;2;The job completed
successfully.  However, the following conditions were encountered:  1 files
were skipped. A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful.
Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

[1218341166] Warning: The results of service 'Backup_Incremental' on host
'HHA_Backups' are stale by 12689d 23h 17m 32s (threshold=1d 2h 0m 0s).  I'm
forcing an immediate check of the service.

[1218341167] SERVICE ALERT:
HHA_Backups;Backup_Incremental;CRITICAL;HARD;3;CRITICAL: Results of backup
job were not reported!

Any ideas?

Thanks!