[Nagiosplug-help] SERVICE notification Alerts and Escaltion Email Configuration

Marcus adesperateuser at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:14:15 CEST 2008

Hi Pavan,

pavan kumar schrieb:
> 1) What’s the
> difference between Notification Alerts and Escalations and how to configure
> escalations and how to test it.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/escalations.html and
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/notifications.html should clarify
the difference.
A notification is, well, something notifying the responsible admin.
An escalation is, when he/she doesn't react, the mail also goes to
fellow admins, or even the management. That would be escalation, I guess.

How to test that, well...
Set up a service, which doesn't work. Have a notification sent to you.
Dont react, by not acknowledging it.
After a couple of tries of nagios notifying you, nagios should notify
another admin-group if you set things up correctly. See the manual for
examples.

> 2) Iam using the template of
> local-service while defining services in
> locahost.cfg
>
> define
> service{
>
> use                             local-service         ; Name of service template
> to use
>
> host_name                       localhost
>
> service_description             Total Processes
>
> check_command
> check_local_procs!250!400!RSZDT
>
> }
>
> When I see the template definition
> for local-service
>
> # Local service definition template
> - This is NOT a real service, just a template!
>
> define
> service{
>
> name                            local-service           ; The name of this
> service template
>
> use                             generic-service         ; Inherit default values
> from the generic-service definition
>
> max_check_attempts              4                       ; Re-check the service
> up to 4 times in order to determine its final
>  (hard)
> state
>         normal_check_interval
>     5                       ; Check the service every 5 minutes under normal
> conditions
>
> retry_check_interval            1                       ; Re-check the service
> every minute until a hard state can be determ
> ined
>         register
>           0                       ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A
> REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEM
> PLATE!
>
> }
>
> There is no
> notification enabled/mentioned, iam surprised then how iam getting the Email
> Notifications when this specific service is down as the template specific to
> this service
> Doesn’t have
> notifications enabled.
If I get the problem right, you are getting notified, but don't find the
notification option. Maybe it takes the standard-admin-mailadress...?
I can't help you on this one, I guess. :-/

> ***** Nagios
> *****
>
> Notification Type:
> PROBLEM
> Service: Total
> Processes
> Host:
> localhost
> Address:
> 127.0.0.1
> State:
> CRITICAL
> Date/Time: Thu Aug 7
> 16:15:32 IST 2008
> Additional
> Info:
> CRITICAL - Plugin timed out
> after 10 seconds.
>
> 3)How to limit the
> Notification Alerts only to specific Services.

Maybe you can have a template for services with notifications, and one
without (as below).
I think, the notifications_enabled (0/1) directive could do the job.

- ----
define service{
              name                        generic-bp-service
              use                         generic-service
              contact_groups              admins
              notification_interval       60
              notification_period         24x7
              notification_options        u,c,r
              notifications_enabled       1
              max_check_attempts          5
              check_period                24x7
              register                    0
              }

define service{
              name                        generic-bp-detail-service
              use                         generic-service
              contact_groups              admins
              notification_interval       60
              notification_period         24x7
              notification_options        u,c,r
              notifications_enabled       0
              max_check_attempts          1
              normal_check_interval       5
              retry_check_interval        1
              check_period                24x7
              register                    0
              }

>  pls reply asap ..... :-(
Yeah, easy dude. :-)

I hope I could help a little, I am not that much of a nagios-guru myself
either. ;-)

Greetz,
 Marcus