Can I monitor a host without defining any services for it?

Ian Masters ian at acces.co.jp
Fri Aug 8 03:40:17 CEST 2008

Thomas

Thanks for your reply.

> You can use check_dummy for the service... In Nagios 3 with regularly
> scheduled hosts checks it should work.

Well, at the moment I only have about 20 hosts being tested, and even
though I have check_interval set to 1 in the host definition, looking at
the scheduling queue, I can see that host checks are only occurring
every 80 seconds. When I've added about 200 more hosts I'm wondering if
this time lag will increase.

If that is the case, then I guess I will have to use check_ping after all.

> In Nagios 2 hosts check were normally on-demand so it wouldn't work if
> your service always returns OK.

Interesting. I never used Nagios 2.

According to check_dummy -h:
This plugin will simply return the state corresponding to the numeric
value of the <state> argument with optional text

Am I right in thinking that this does not actually perform a test? It
just returns a state (OK, Warning etc) depending on the argument you
give to check_dummy. Is that correct?

If that is the case, is there really any point in using it for my
purposes. Obviously it prevents the Nagios warnings, but other than that
is it really serving any purpose?

Thanks

Ian