check_md_raid plugin and check_smartmon plugin comparison

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 4 17:35:30 CEST 2008

Jake Solid wrote:
> The check_md_raid plugin which uses the  mdadm program to get the status
>  of all the linux md arrays on the local machine provides the same
> functionality as the check_smartmon plugin?
>
> Thanks in advanced.
No, check_md_raid checks on the status linux software raid arrays.

check_smartmon checks smartmon which may not be the same thing.

If you want to make sure your arrays are ok, then use the first, if
you're interested in checking on the pre-emptive health status of disks
in general then smartmon is the right thing to use, although I haven't
looked too closely at the check_smartmon plugin to see what it handles
exactly.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon