SNMP Traps from ProCurve Switches

Carl Friend Carl.Friend at mathworks.com
Wed Apr 30 19:58:16 CEST 2008

   Allan Clark writes:

> [...] I wanted to connect directly rather than layer a lot of
> interposing scripts (which are often difficult to repair).  I
> was trying to force snmptrapd to "log" to the Nagios command-channel,
> but snmptrapd seems to use different formats when logging to stdout
> compared to logging to a file.
>
> Anyone else with better luck?

   I wrote a Perl script that executes from NET-SNMP's "snmptrapd"
program (or can take stuff from <STDIN> (think e-mail)), does some
behind-the-scenes "magic" with a MySQL database backend (think
suppressing duplicate traps, and the ability to route traps to
Nagios or e-mail), and ultimately sends Nagios-formtted stuff via
NSCA to Nagios (or to humans via e-mail).

   If anybody wants a copy, and the database schemas, just ask.  It
is a bit of a heavyweight, but it works in my environment.

   I also did a bit of recoding to NSCA/NSCD to allow that facility
to enter comments into Nagios, either for services or for hosts.  I
contacted Mr. Galstad to see if he was interested in the tweaks, but
was told that there were going to be better ways of doing what I did
in the future.  I find it useful to jam stuff like port up/down and
configuration events into comments rather than fiddling with a service
and sending notifications.