Announce: Check_Yum for RedHat/CentOS server package alerts

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 30 14:45:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

   I've just released the Check_Yum plugin on NagiosExchange.org as the
only one there seemed quite inadequate.

Features of the new plugin (none of which are in the old plugin) include:

- Differentiate between Security / normal package updates
- Better output - numbers of packages updates
- Support for extra Yum options including enabling and disabling repos,
running from the cache
- Optional Warning on non-security updates
- Optional Critical alerting on any package
- Timeout
- Verbosity
- Less false package alerts (the old plugin just used to misleading say
the O/S needed updates when yum failed for any reason at all), including
proper error feedback and a switch for lock handling to not raise an
alert like if somebody is running yum interactively at the same time.

You can download the plugin here:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2577.html;d=1

(you may need to copy and paste that link if your mail client
misinterprets the link)

As ever, feedback is welcome, and development will continue if needed
for extra switches and features.
This should also work with Fedora or another RPM based distros that uses
yum as it's package management system but I've not tested it outside
RHEL/CentOS so feedback is welcome there too.

On a related note, I'm also quite interested in people's experiences of
updating and maintaining RedHat based systems especially with regards to
security. I spoke to a few people and they basically don't follow
security vulnerabilities and don't patch which ties in with my
experiences and what I've seen of other people's systems too which is
very disappointing. Hopefully this will make it easier to automatically
track and keep on top of security updates for those of us who have
RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 or later or equivalent.

Thanks

-h

--
Hari Sekhon