smtp server that nagios uses

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 25 14:23:58 CEST 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> hi
>
> how to check what is the smtp server that my nagios server uses?
>
> as far as i remember, i was not asked to specify the smtp server
> during the installation.

The most accurate answer is that nagios doesn't use one and doesn't
need to know anything about it.

Your notification commands probably use the /bin/mail(x) mail _client_
to transmit notifications. Those programs then submit the
notifications to the SMTP server running on localhost (sendmail,
postfix, qmail, etc) for final delivery. If you are wanting to change
the SMTP server that those use, you'll need to modify their
configuration to smarthost to that other machine.

There's also a FAQ with some alternatives.

--
Marc