Hosts reboots too fast for check_alive notification

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 24 22:55:26 CEST 2008

Currently
> I'm using a custom script  S99bootnotify to alert me when a host comes
online,
> is there any way to shorten the polling for check_alive? I find it
strange
> that a host could reboot and nagios not detect that outage.

What version of nagios are you using?

With nagios-2.x and prior, hosts are never checked unless a service on
the host returns a non-OK result. Hosts are then checked with the host's
check_command, up to max_check_attempts, with no pause between attempts.
The end of that check process, which should be quick if you've followed
the recommendations, will be the status of the host.

It appears to me you might need to adjust your service check_interval to
be less than the time it takes to reboot _or_ find a better way of
knowing when the host reboots (uptime, timestamp on a file, log entries,
etc...).

--
Marc