Nagios alerts via Windows Messenger

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 24 19:09:52 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:19:38PM -0400, Goltz, Jim (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] wrote:
> I'm experimenting with using the Windows Messenger service (NOT MSN
> Messenger) to send alerts.  Basically Nagios calls "smbclient -M
> some_host", and a message pops up on some_host with whatever text I pipe
> into smbclient.
>
> The problem is, using smbclient I need to specify which host to send the
> message to.  I'd much rather send the message to whichever host a
> particular user is logged into.  I know it's possible: running "net send
> username text_of_message" in a Windows command shell will do this.  But
> I don't know what SMB domain magic happens to tell "net" what machine
> "username" is logged into.
>
> Has anyone ever successfully done this, perchance?

I haven't, but I would suggest that it might be productive to aim
tcpdump at that segment and let Windows do it.  You might gain some
useful insight as to how they're doing it... which combined with the
smbclient sources, might tell you if it's possible.

Of course, that's probably a last resort, but at least it's one you
have.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.