Environmental monitoring

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Apr 22 03:17:38 CEST 2008

[ inadvertantly didn't send these to the list ]

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:29:45AM -0400, Jonathan Dill wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >Aha!
> >Thanks.  It ain't wireless, but at the price, I also don't care.  :-)
>
> Also, it's all cabled together with inexpensive satin cable and RJ11
> plugs, probably more reliable to use a powered hub though if you have
> more than a few sensors, but you can always try that later if you have
> problems.  You do have to be careful which pin goes to ground or + it
> probably won't damage anything but the device will not be seen if you
> cross the wires.  Cheap "biscuit" phone jack can be useful for testing
> and troubleshooting, that makes it easy to switch + and ground if you
> think that may be the problem.  Finally, a use for all of that Mac
> PhoneNet / Gator / serial Terminal Server junk that you never quite
> got around to throw away, lol.

Quite so.

So my current list of things I want to monitor (and will have to find
sensors for) is

  Machine room temp (5 racks, plus probably 4 other locations and AC
    outlet temps)
  Machine room humidity
  Power panel temp (3 panels)
  Current and voltage per leg (240 3-phase, closed delta)

The temp and humidity are walk-ons.  Power panel temps are a bit
harder, but I saw thermocouple temp sensors.  The power and voltage,
now... that's going to be dicey.  I can get voltage off a receptacle
installed for the purpose, or in a box downstream of a breaker, but the
current I have to pull right off the feed wires, and I'm playing hell
finding UL rated AC current sensors that will measure 200A RMS AC, much
less ones that are 1-wire...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.