Return code 255 and flapping services on Solaris9

Peter Michael Calum pemca at tdc.dk
Sat Apr 19 21:33:35 CEST 2008

>> from Jay R. Ashworth
>> You never see it break when you run it manually, but it breaks how
frequently when you let Nagios run it?

Peter:

Correct, I run these from nagios server via the check_by_ssh plugin

check_load
check_disk
check_swap
check_users

and they are all flapping ( 1 run OK then 3 fault´s or so)

a http server on the khk23dso3 machine are checked directly from nagios machine and reports OK all the time.

I'll  try to make a perl script monday to make a loop run with check_by_ssh manually and save the return codes in a file.

But as you ask for :

Side question to all: is there a way to configure nagios to drop into a
log file somewhere *precisely* what it hands off to a shell or exec
when it runs a check-command?

it would be good to trace errors ..

Just writing this i see this message from Andy Ford

To debug, you need to wrap your plugin call. See this fine article:
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=379

Thanks

Ill try that tomorrow..

rgds,
Peter, Denmark

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:22:03AM +0200, Peter Michael Calum wrote:
> I'm just trying to find out what the difference is when i run the
> check_by_ssh manually
> and when it is done by nagios. But something must be wrong in
> khk23dso3.ip.tdk.dk.

Ok, recap for us.

You never see it break when you run it manually, but it breaks how
frequently when you let Nagios run it?

Side question to all: is there a way to configure nagios to drop into a
log file somewhere *precisely* what it hands off to a shell or exec
when it runs a check-command?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.