check_users: list the users?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 17 23:06:08 CEST 2008

I've just installed Nagios 3 and begun to configure it for my network
(25ish servers, all but 2 running Linux, 250ish workstations, all but
about 25 running Ubuntu), and after slogging through "SSL error" on
check_nrpe -- which means about 3 different things having nothing to do
with SSL -- and the ever popular "audio embeds *aren't*
application/wav; they're audio/x-wav, just ask my mime.types file"
problems, I'm now up to the possibly uncommon way I want to use
check_users...

I'm setting check_users (via nrpe) to warn at 1 and CRIT at 3 users --
I'm putting this on servers that, typically, have no humans logged in
at all.

Since that's true, I'd like to have the list of users from who -q
returned as part of the status message.

a) Is this a not uncommon usage, and when I patch the program, should I
therefore post and or submit a patch to do this?

b) How long can that status message become without breaking 1) nagios
and 2) nrpe?

Anyone have opinions, answers, or pointers?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)