Hosts w/o services

Ford, Andy andyford at agedwards.com
Wed Apr 16 22:11:30 CEST 2008

Well, if you dig, I think you will find that you can monitor much more
than you think.

In fact, to take one example you mentioned: printers.

If I was in charge of monitoring the availability of the boss's printer,
I would have Nagios run a test printout every morning that would either
return a status or, if it's an old printer that's less intelligent, I'd
have a piece of paper in the output tray that I'd pick up on my way to
my desk!
At that point, you know not only that it's turned on, but that the toner
is good, it's not jammed, and a bunch of other stuff.

Even in the worst case scenario of a dot matrix printer connected via
serial line, you can whip up a plugin that sends a printout via a
command line tool with "lpr" or some other old standby. Samba might come
in hand there.

This may not be applicable to your printer, but for instance:

[forda at hqnagpl1 ~]$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_hpjd -h
check_hpjd (nagios-plugins 1.4.8) 1.35
Copyright (c) 1999 Ethan Galstad <nagios at nagios.org>
Copyright (c) 2000-2006 Nagios Plugin Development Team
        <nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

This plugin tests the STATUS of an HP printer with a JetDirect card.
Net-snmp must be installed on the computer running the plugin.

Wachovia Securities, LLC's outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other
than the recipient.

A.G. Edwards, a division of Wachovia Securities, LLC