Hosts w/o services

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Apr 16 21:20:29 CEST 2008

On Apr 16, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Ford, Andy wrote:

> <advice tag='unsolicited'>
> There must be some reason for each server or device to be on the
> network, it must provide some service, even if it's just a lowly(?)
> sshd.
> Do yourself and your organization a favor and monitor that reason!
> </advice>

To some extent, yes, but not necessarily a service we can monitor.
There are quite a few devices on the network that it is important to
us to know should the device fail, but aren't offering any separately
monitorable "service", per se. For example, printers. We need to know
if one dies, so we can fix it before it becomes a problem (not to
mention that fixing the boss's printer before he even knows it has a
problem makes you look good ;-) ), but other than the simple ping host
check, they don't offer any "services" we can monitor.

Even some more essential devices such as switches can fall into this
category, as they are just routing traffic, not offering any
"services". I could, of course, go crazy and use check_snmp or
something to monitor each port on said switch as a service, but that
is way overkill for our needs- we just need to know that the switch is
there and functioning, i.e. host check.

Not to mention the rather large category of client machines, which we
need to know are running so they can be backed up, and, of course,
used for whatever the user needs. Kind of difficult to monitor the
ability to run office, or an e-mail client :-). We still want to
monitor the host, though, so that hopefully if/when a client machine
should die we can fix it before the user (who may well come in before
us in the morning) is impacted. We could, of course, monitor something
like ssh on those machines, but why? All we (and the user) care about
is that the machine is functioning.

So yeah, while this may not be the way nagios is designed to work, and
may never be (which I can live with if so), I really don't see this as
being all that unusual a situation, as some responses seem to imply.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd