sms througth nagios

Philipp Geschke nagios at pgmail.net
Tue Apr 15 15:10:23 CEST 2008

Hello,

Pili Muñoz Gargallo schrieb:
> Hi all,
> i am planning to improve my nagios intallation by adding a
> sms-notification. I have found several pluggins but there is something i
> don't understand... All of them talk about, sername and password
> associated with SMS2Email account, Mollie account....
> Is this service managed by a private enterprise or i could buy a GSM
> modem with a pre-paid target?
> Where i could get an account?
> I am very lost in this topic so any information would be very grateful.

As Nagios is only run by Plugins, even with notifications, you can do
almost anything that transports your informations to a SMS Provider.

Pretty cheap is, for example, what I am doing.

I have regular old Nokia 6210 cell phone hooked to the Nagios box.
Then I use gammu (http://www.gammu.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page)
to Pipe notifications to that cell phone.

My notification command looks like this:

define command{
         command_name    notify-by-sms
         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Nagios\n\nType:
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress:
$HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\nTime:
$SHORTDATETIME$\nInfo:$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | gammu --sendsms TEXT
$CONTACTEMAIL$ | tee -a /var/nagios/nagios-sms.log
         }

As you can see, I use the usual $CONTACTEMAIL$ to store the cell phone
number I want to send the sms to.

Or, as a more general answer to your question:
You can use anything with nagios, that you are able to configure, nagios
only limiting you to have a command on your system that'll pipe the info
to the device.

--Philipp