[Solved] Too stupid? Services are available, but nagios reports host to be down!

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Wed Apr 9 10:31:18 CEST 2008

Hello,

the summary to my question:

Q: A host checks gets triggered as soon as any service fails?

   (My host check (ping) doesn't work, because the hosts are not
   pingable and I supposed to see the host "UP" as long as any
   services works, so normally no reason for pinging.)

A: Nagios consideres any failing service as a problem and behaves like
   human being would do: it doesn't check all the other services, it
   justs checks if the host itself is up. If the failure reason is
   a dead host, it will detect host outage immediatly fast w/o
   complaining about all the other services failing.

   (If nagios would wait with the host check until all services failed
   it can take a long time (e.g. if some service is checked with a long
   check_interval only)).

   Conclusion: You should define a working host check, you can "abuse"
   some of the service checks, at least (in my case) you can "ping" the
   ssh port or something similar. As a last ressort you may disable the
   host check with having no check_command for that host (but beware:
   once it is set in some template, you can't "reset" it!). Some other
   last ressort could be defining a fake test as check command.

   If it's really intended to trigger the host check if *all* services
   failed, you'll need to have a host check command which checks for
   that condition, one proposal was to use the check_cluster plugin.

Thanks for the help

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -