Too stupid? Services are available, but nagios reports host to be down!

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Wed Apr 9 10:07:03 CEST 2008

Greg King <wgking99 at yahoo.com> (Mi 09 Apr 2008 08:13:51 CEST):
> > > Heiko Schlittermann
>
> The normal check_host_alive command is ping, but it might not work for some hosts like firewalls, etc.  For these hosts use NMAP to scan for an open TCP port on the host (ssh or http ports are frequently open), then create a check_host_alive2 that does a check_tcp to that known open port, and override the default check_host_alive for the hosts in question, or create a new group for these hosts and use the new check_host_alive2 command.

Yep. Thank you. This possibility I know, I was just irritated from/by
(?) the logic behind the host checks. But thanks to all answers now I
understand the reason for triggering a host check as soon as *any*
service fails. (That doesn't mean that I agree with this logic, but I
understand it ;-))

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -