Too stupid? Services are available, but nagios reports host to be down!

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Apr 9 01:10:30 CEST 2008

Heiko Schlittermann schrieb am Tuesday, den 08. April 2008:

> Folkert van Heusden <folkert at vanheusden.com> (Di 08 Apr 2008 23:16:55 CEST):
> >
> > Sorry to drop-in (and maybe saying something stupid) but as far as i
> > know the host may be down if it stopped responding to ping but still
> > responds to service-checks.
>
> ?? How. Or I'm stupid? How should the host respond to service checks
> if it's down and doesn't respond to ping therefore?

It happens.  For example, I have two switches in a strange state that I
can't ping, but otherwise work fine.

That's beside the point, though... Under normal circumstances, Nagios
will assume that, if your host check fails, all your services should be
considered broken, too.  That's why a host check should always be
designed in a way that if failways always, and only, if a host should be
considered down.