Too stupid? Services are available, but nagios reports host to be down!

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Apr 8 19:32:25 CEST 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (using 3.0.1)
>
> I've a list of hosts, these hosts are not available for ping, but
> normal
> service checks (SSH, SMTP, ...) work. Nagios reports theses hosts
> beeing
> down! Ugly!
>
> If I remember well, older nagios versions "knew" that's enough to see
> one service on a host to know this host has to be up.

To a degree, yes- if you aren't actively checking the host (as would
appear to be the case from your next paragraph), then as long as all
services  on the host are listed as ok, nagios assumes the host is
still ok (at least once running, I don't know how it behaves on the
initial check). However, should any of the services go into a non-ok
state, nagios will immediately check the host (using the host
check_command), wherupon, in your case, it would determine the host to
be down since it can't ping. The state of the other services does not
affect this process, so any other services do not change state.

> The host check_command is the normale 'check-host-alive' (which is
> pinging), the check_interval is 0 -- why does nagios want to check
> that
> host?

Because at some point one or more of the services went into a non-ok
state.

> The check_command is inherited from some template, if I try to
> override
> it with no value, nagios complains:
>
> Error: Host check command '(null)' specified for host 'diwi/diw' is
> not defined anywhere

Yep- you can't have no value in the check_command directive. If you
just want to assume the host is up all the time, you can use the
check_dummy plugin (after defining a check_dummy command in your
checkcommands.cfg, naturally). Otherwise you'll need to figure out
some check Nagios can perform to determine if the host is running,
even if that check is just checking one of the services again or
something.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.