NDOUtils Problem

Antonio Grassi agrassic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:53:01 CEST 2008

I assume, as you have said, that /usr/local/nagios/var/ndo.sock has write
permissions for the user/group that Nagios daemon runs as.

In the file src/io.c, line 225, is the function ndo_sink_write, wich is
returning the value NDO_ERROR and causing the function ndomod_write_to_sink
in file src/ndomod.c to log the error "Error writing to data sink!" (that
same function is also the one that succesfully reconnects to data sink).

Maybe you can get more info about the problem, examining the errno variable
after the "write" call in ndo_sink_write. You can modify the line 733 in
ndomod.c for something like this:

asprintf(&temp_buffer,"ndomod: Error writing to data sink (%d - %s)!  Some
output may get lost.  %lu queued items to flush.",errno,strerror(errno),
sinkbuf.items);

The function strerror gives you a very short description of the error, and
is defined in string.h

The error codes should be defined in /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h

If the permissions are ok (which seems to be the case due to the unix socket
being opened for writing succesfully), maybe there is a problem with ndo2db
disconnecting for some reason in the other extreme of the socket.

You can also use netstat -a to see if the ndo2db daemon is listening on the
specified socket, before and after getting up nagios.

Also, I think that the ndo2db daemon should at least log a query like
"SELECT instance_id FROM ...", which is one of the first things that ndo2db
does after connecting to the database (in ndo2db_db_hello() in src/db.c), so
maybe it's the ndo2db daemon failing to connect to database (or to listen on
the unix socket).

The function that connects to the database is ndo2db_db_connect, which sends
(un)success messages to syslog.

Well, I've no more ideas at the moment.