Unable to monitor remote hosts with nrpe

Rodrick Brown rbrown at BallistaSec.com
Fri Apr 4 00:19:08 CEST 2008

I recently built a nagios 3.0 server and having a bit of problem getting remote hosts monitored correctly with nrpe.

NRPE seems to be configured correctly on the local and remote host.

[root at nagiosbox objects]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H nycplx01a -c check_load -t 30

OK - load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01|load1=0.080;15.000;30.000;0; load5=0.020;10.000;25.000;0; load15=0.010;5.000;20.000;0;

I added the following entries to nagios.cfg

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/linuxhosts.cfg

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/ballista-host.cfg

I created a template host definition file.

--- ballista-host.cfg ---

define host {

        name                             ballista-host

        use                                 linux-server

        check_period            24x7

        retry_interval          5

        max_check_attempts      10

        check_command           check-host-alive

        notification_period     24x7

        notification_interval   30

        notification_options    d,r

        contact_groups          admins

        register                0

}

Here is the definition file I'm using to define my hosts.

--- linux-hosts.cfg ---

[root at nyadmlx01 objects]# cat linuxhosts.cfg

define host {

        use                     ballista-host

        host_name               nycplx01a

        alias                   nycplx01a-eth1

        address                 10.187.11.101

        check_command           check-host-alive

        max_check_attempts      10

        notification_interval   120

        notification_period     24x7

        notification_options    d,u,r

}

define host {

        use                                                 ballista-host

        host_name                                 nycplx01b

        alias                                               nycplx01b-eth1

        address                                        10.187.11.201

        check_command                     check-host-alive

        max_check_attempts            10

        notification_interval               120

        notification_period                 24x7

        notification_options               d,u,r

}

define hostgroup {

        hostgroup_name     Ballista_ECN

        alias                               Ballista_ECN Linux Servers ; Long name of the group

        members                    nycplx01a,nycplx01b

}

define service {

        use                                                 generic-service

        host_name                                 nycplx01a,nycplx01b

        service_description                CPU Load

        check_command                     check_nrpe!check_load  ß No matter what check_nrpe I use here I get configuration problems

}

Checking services...

Error: Service check command 'check_nrpe' specified in service 'CPU Load' for host 'nycplx01a' not defined anywhere!

Error: Service check command 'check_nrpe' specified in service 'CPU Load' for host 'nycplx01b' not defined anywhere!

        Checked 10 services.

If anyone could help me with getting remote checks to work using nrpe I would greatly appricate it thanks.

---

Rodrick R. Brown

Director of Systems Engineering

Ballista Securities LLC