per host service notifications

Dan Newcombe newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Apr 3 22:40:16 CEST 2008

I am upgrading (finally) to version 2 of nagios.  I am trying to keep my
configs as modular as possible using templating and groups wherever I
can - the idea being adding a new host should be a one or two line
change to inherit all needed "stuff".

The problem I'm running into are services and who gets contacted.
Lets take ping as a perfect example.   I have one definition of the ping
service, which is the default one.  However, different hosts who
different contact groups (ie. networkadmins, server admins, Avaya admins
who should be notified of ping failures to network, server and Avaya
hosts respectively).
I am able to define a contact group for a host (though not for a
hostgroup it appears :( .     However, each service definition has a
contact group defined in it.    So regardless of the host, the ping
service is going to use the contactgroup defined in the service.

I realize that I could make the ping service a template, and then define
a ping service for each contact group, but that seems ugly.

Is there an option I'm missing which would do something along the lines
of "use the host contactgroup for all services on the host" or something
like that?   To me that seems the most logical way around this.

Thanks
   -Dan