Service definition without contacts

Christian Schneemann cschneemann at suse.de
Thu Apr 3 19:43:34 CEST 2008

Hi,
I have some problems defining my services respectively creating hostgroups and
allocate servicechecks to them.
Here an example:
I want to monitor 10 database-servers. So I could create the
hostgroup "database-servers" and put the 10 hosts in this group. Afterwards I
assign the database-check to this group and every host in this group gets his
database monitored. This works as expected.
But now to my problem:
Almost every host has other contacts to get informed in an emergency.

A servicedefinition requires a contactgroup in its definition, according to
the manual.

I have removed the "contact_groups" and "contacts" from the definitions and
nagios started.

What behaviour can I expect? Will no notification be send out because no
contacts are definied? Or can I expect a fallback to the contacts defined in
the host definition?

The last one would be a nice-to-have.

Grettings,
Christian

--
Christian Schneemann

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,
Maxfeldstr. 5, D - 90409 Nürnberg

Phone:  +49 (0)911 - 740 53 0
e-mail: cschneemann at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex
HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)