A fix for EXTREME slowness

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 2 14:46:48 CEST 2008

the

> Since the load times were so bad we started looking for the cause. It
> became evident that it was the processing of the comments.dat file. We

> Are there others who have seen this as a big problem, or is it not a

I'd like to suggest that most people don't use the comments feature for
long term or extensive storage of notes about hosts and services. Are
you sure you're using the right feature of Nagios to accomplish your
goal?

> typical problem that has been encountered? Have others found a way to
> fix this problem other than reducing the number of comments in the
> comments file?
>
> So there seems to be a need to make this information be more a
database
> type access, rather than a "parse this big file and see what drops out
> that we want" access. This could easily be done with a real relational
> database, or even a more simple database, to retrieve only the
comments
> for the host/service desired. We are willing to do the work on this,
but
> would like it to be incorporated into Nagios code base so that we are
> not having to port this functionality on upgrades in the future.

This is really what the notes_url feature is for; have you looked at
that? No worries about upgrades there and you have the flexibility to
store the information any way you like.

If you want to optimize the comments code, without using a database
(nagios has moved away from that for a number of reasons), I'd suggest
subscribing to nagios-devel. Ethan doesn't monitor this list that I am
aware of and he's the only one that has any say in what gets added.

--
Marc