smart monitoring and Dell PERC RAID?

Huaqing Zheng huasome at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 00:25:59 CEST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
> I have a standard ol' PC running linux that I'm using to monitor some
>  servers and other network devices.  Both servers are Dell boxes with PERC
>  controllers and hardware RAID of SCSI drives.  I'd to learn if anyone has
>  successfully configured nagios to monitor the health of such a
>  configuration?  (I presume someone has, just a matter of how you did it).
>
>  Smartctl on the servers claims the scsi drives do not support smart.  I
>  configured the servers and have full access.

That's correct.  SCSI disks do not support SMART, only ATA and SATA disks do.

>  What options does nagios give for monitoring disk health for such a
>  configuration?

http://linux.dell.com/monitoring.shtml

OMSA contains a program for monitoring PERC controllers.  It shouldn't
be hard to wrap a nagio check around it.  In fact, there's a number of
user contributed checks already at:

http://new.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Imported_projects%2FCheck_Plugins%2FHardware%2FDELL_Server%2Findex.html;d=1

--
Huaqing Zheng