FW: Nagios: Error while writing to pipe

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Sep 25 17:15:03 CEST 2007

> -----Original Message-----
> From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:nagios-users-
> bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of pankaj.dhali at wipro.com
> Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:39 AM
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Nagios-users] FW: Nagios: Error while writing to pipe
>

> I get following error:
>
> [root at Symbol rw]# tail -f nagios.cmd
>
> [1190731734]

PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;10.207.40.203;snmp_trap_handling_critical;2
;"
> 12"
>
> tail: nagios.cmd: file truncated
>
> tail: nagios.cmd: cannot seek to offset 0: Illegal seek

Tailing a named pipe removes the contents. Above, you removed your
external command from the queue before nagios could see it.

>  why I am getting Illegal seek error. I have tried to use this script
to a
> normal read write file and it works fine, but while writing to a pipe
it
> is

The file truncated errors are the result of tail trying to follow the
pipe being reset to 0 length (normal for a pipe being read). You
shouldn't be trying to tail the pipe.

--
Marc