plug-ins for AIX DB2

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Mon Sep 24 12:34:20 CEST 2007

Hello,

24.09.2007 02:48,, Live Great wrote::

A bit impatient? ;-)

> The required configuration is to install a nagios client/plug-ins in AIX
> and have it monitor the DB2 database engine, I assumed it will
> periodically send status/summary to a remote centralized nagios server.
> The centralized nagios server is a freebsd system.
> I would like to know if I need to install a Nagios engine in AIX in
> order to send the result back to the centralized nagios server.
> I probably get confused about how the plug-ins work in a client-server
> model, for example a Nagios plug-ins in AIX checks the local system
> state and send this result to a remote centralized remote Nagios server.
> Can anyone please shed some lights on me?

Well, first of all it might help to understand Nagios better, but
you're quite close already...

There are basically two ways to monitor anything using Nagios:

- Use a plugin running on the Nagios server, which connects to
whatever service you want to monitor, gets some result, and reports
this. For that to work, you need some plugin that can check a remote
DB2 installation for your Nagios server.

If you don't find anything suitable on NagiosExchange, it's more or
less simple to write a plugin yourself - you will use the DB2 client
(hopefully) available for FreeBSD, connect to the DB2, get some
important information, parse it, and return a proper state as a result
code, along with a little information on stdout. Rather simple task
for a shell, perl, or whatever script.

- Use a check on the DB2-server itself. This would do basically the
same as above, but report as a passive check result, probably using
nsca, ssh or any other suitable method to remotely connect to your
monitoring server.

Which way to go depends on your needs and the availability of the
needed programs. NagiosExchange is usually a very good starting point
to look for plugins.

Hope this helps you a bit,

Arno

> Thanks