Log Server Check

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:48:30 CEST 2007

Hi,

   A while ago I was looking for the best way to check a log server
with a MySQL back end, and finding no great method, I wrote my own.
It's been in production where I work for a few months now, so I
recently decided to have a rewrite and then release it so that others
can benefit. I have just released it on Nagios Exchange (GPL of
course). It can be found here:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1101

or just search nagiosexchange.org for "logserver", it's the only hit.

It is flexible enough to test a log server via either TCP or UDP on
any port, and to query a MySQL database either on the same host or
another host for the log to make sure it has come through the whole
logserver and been stored correctly. It should be flexible enough for
use with any syslog implementation using a MySQL storage back end.

I wrote this originally for the typical Syslog-NG / MySQL log server
combination since the joining bit between Syslog-NG and MySQL can
break and it is not easily testable without sending a log and checking
if it actually comes through to the back end storage. It has actually
happened to me a few times that the logserver stack stopped working
for one reason or another...

I may consider adding support for file based or Oracle back end log
servers if there is demand.

As usual, for support, feedback, bug reports or feature requests, you
can contact me at this address, hpsekhon(AT)googlemail.com.

Regards,

-h

--
Hari Sekhon