Standard Nagios Plugins 1.4.9 and IPv6 problem?

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Fri Sep 21 18:11:31 CEST 2007

* "Frost, Mark {PBG}" <mark.frost1 at pepsi.com> [2007-09-21 11:14]:
> It does open a socket with parameters for IPv6 (AF_INET6) and then tells
> the resolver to run the query.

The plugins won't actually open an IPv6 socket, they merely call
getaddrinfo(3) which, depending on how it's called, may query your
nameserver for an AAAA record before querying it for an A record.  This
is done before opening a socket.

> I guess the big problem I have here is what is necessary to convince an
> application that a system does not use IPv6?  That there's no interface
> configured to use IPv6? (check)  That there's no routing or other
> networking setup at boot time to enable it? (check)  I feel that I'm an
> unfortunate victim of Linux just throws IPv6 include files into its base
> configuration whether I want them or not so the plugins assume that they
> might as well try it.

As I said, the plugins don't actually "decide" to try IPv6 DNS lookups,
they just call the system's getaddrinfo(3) function without explicitly
stating that the function should only try IPv4 address lookups.  The
latter could be done and I'll implement that behaviour for "./configure
--without-ipv6".

Holger